The Story of the Greeks by H. A. Guerber


Currently reading... to my son.
To be fair to this e-book, it probably deserves a mini mention but not much more. Typical of the era, and of the author* these are dangerously sanitised versions of much loved and much more gruesome and explicit tales. Still, they're quite entertaining for a three year old and there's lots of them, so as they're stored electronically on the branded e-reading device of choice, I can take them camping rather than lug a suitcase of children's books with me (and lessening the space available for the lugging of large quantities of alcohol, for once he's gone to sleep). 

If this sounds like it's for you, you can buy it from Amazon for your Kindle below, or click on the link under the picture to download from the estimable Project Gutenberg, one of the noblest of online ventures I have found to date. They rescue out-of-print books via an enormous team of wonderful humans at Distributed Proofreaders, and offer them up for free. FOR FREE. I count myself among them.

* I also read Myths of the Norsemen by this author and it exhibits all of the same typical Victorian values in so-called educational literature for children.

Comments